- NY Marxist School
- Videos & Podcasts
- Economy Watch
- Who We Are
January 18th, 2011 7:30 PM
A Monthly Update & Discussion
These Tuesday evenings will each begin with an update and analysis of major economic events of the last month and their contexts of longer-term economic trends shaping politics and society here and abroad. We will focus on the evolving global capitalist economic crisis and its consequences.
The topic for January 18 will be the crisis of state and municipal budgets in 2011 and the attempt to blame the crisis on public employees and solve it at their expense.
In the course of the series, we will examine topics such as
- the social costs effects of the historic long-term US unemployment,
- national debt crises and “austerity programs” in Greece, Ireland, Spain, and beyond
- changes in today’s Chinese economy and their global effects,
- tax reform and the entire tax issue in the US today,
- continuing crisis in the US housing and credit markets
- the economics of immigration
Actual economic developments will shape the agenda for each monthly Tuesday meeting. Rick Wolff, with occasional guests, will present an economic update and an analysis of some particular economic topics and then open the floor to questions, comments and a general discussion of where the US and world economies are going and the political implications. We aim to develop participants’ understanding of and ability to explain to others the key economic developments of our time.